Understand how pickups work with Sendle.
This article will cover:
- How pickups work
- How to provide Pickup instructions
- Do’s and Don’ts for Pick Ups
How do pickups work?
When you book with Sendle, you are asked to choose an estimated pickup date.
- On the day you have requested, Sendle books your order with the local courier assigned to your collection. This happens at 4am-6am so that the courier has all of their bookings before they start their day.
- In the morning, the courier collects parcels from the suburbs they manage and drives these parcels to their regional depot for sorting. Typically, couriers have a lunchtime, and afternoon deadline to get back to the depot for sorting.
- At the depot, they sort parcels for other delivery locations for other couriers, load parcels for delivery into their van, and get updates from their local manager.
- Once their van is loaded, they drive back out to the suburbs they manage.
- They collect parcels that have not yet been collected and deliver the parcels in their van.
A courier can manage 5 or 6 neighbouring suburbs and have hundreds of parcels to collect in every shift. Remember, collections can occur anywhere from 8am to 6pm.
Delays in picking up and the Sendle Pickup Guarantee
Although the overwhelming majority of parcels are collected on the day they are requested, sometimes there is a small delay.
To help combat this, we have recently introduced our Pickup Guarantee, which is outlined in this article.
In a nutshell, if we don't pickup the parcel on the scheduled date of pickup, we’ll send a dedicated pickup driver the next business day, at our cost.* There are some conditions to this guarantee, so please have a look at the above article for the T's and C's.
Please note, on rare occasions, you may still experience a minor delay.
Common reasons couriers are delayed include:
- Traffic is unusually heavy - often due to poor weather, accidents, or events.
- The courier has unexpectedly received more bookings than normal. This can mean that: there is no room in the van for more parcels, parcels need to be delivered first, or they must make it back to the depot for the lunchtime deadline and can't complete the suburb collections that day.
- The courier's handheld scanner is broken, or there is a technology breakdown on our courier partner's end.
What has Sendle done to help?
If a pickup does not happen on the day it has been requested, a couple of things happen:
- At 4pm, the Sendle system re-books the pickup with the courier. This notifies the courier assigned to your location that your parcel still needs collecting. As per our Pickup Guarantee, for eligible locations, we will also book the parcel with a dedicated pickup driver, at our own cost.
- You will get a notification on your dashboard to confirm this rebooking.
If the pickup is delayed for another day, the Sendle team will:
- Contact you via email to reconfirm your address details and gather extra information on your location.
- Contact the courier again, and provide the extra information you've shared with the team.
- Refund the parcel to your nominated bank account, in full, as per our Pickup Guarantee promise.
What can I do to help?
- Confirm that your address (exactly as entered into your order), can be found on Google Maps. If it can't be found or shows the wrong location, the courier will not be able to find you.
- Share extra pickup instructions with the Sendle team by contacting Sendle Support. This is especially useful if you live in an apartment or have a security gate.
Learn how to help your local courier by including the best possible pickup instructions.
Providing pickup instructions will:
- Help your courier to find your address
- Help your courier to locate your parcel if you must leave it in a secure location
How to write pickup instructions:
- Use short, simple words
- Keep your instructions under 40 characters
- Don't share your lock codes or passwords
Add and save your pickup instructions
You have two options for including pickup instructions for your orders
- In the order form, add pickup instructions each time you book
- In the pickup tab in your account settings, save your pickup instructions to your account
Do’s and Don’ts for Pick Ups
To keep this process as streamlined and smooth as possible, please keep in mind the following:
- Keep pick up instructions specific and short: we recommend using max. 40 characters. Keep your most important instructions at the beginning.
- We recommend to leave your parcels in a safe space, which is accessible for the courier. Please include pickup instructions if the parcels are hidden from view. Example: “parcel left behind the pot plant”
- For parcels booked with multiple couriers, we recommend you separate them into piles clearly marked with the appropriate courier.
- Make sure that the parcel is within the size of the category booked. This will prevent parcels being returned to you for incorrect sizing.
- For health and safety reasons, a courier will not enter a premises where there are animals outside the pickup location, eg. family pets in the yard.
- For security reasons, a courier will not pick up parcels that are located in a locked facility. This includes: a shed, locked box, storage facilities with no reception area, and so on.
If you have any further questions, please get in touch with Sendle Support and quote your order reference. Please do not open new tickets for enquiries about the same parcel as this can significantly slow the customer support process down - simply hit 'reply' to the automated response you received from your first enquiry, or just reply back to the Customer Happiness Champion you were already speaking with about the issue.
Our customer care team will do their absolute best to help you get your parcels collected swiftly.